Tower repairs ... the pinnacles
The church was originally decorated with a multitude of ornate pinnacles set along the parapet of the nave. There were also four such pinnacles around the base of the spire. These were removed for safety reasons in 1924, leaving the old bases as stumps.
It was decided that the pinnacles should be replaced as a part of the refurbishment. Using the information from a 1912 print of the church, a new set of four was carved, copying the decorative detail from other parts of the church.
The pinnacles were mounted on the old bases, displaying the tower as originally designed by its architect Thomas Rickman. It has not been seen like this in living memory.
The pinnacles were carved in sections, and a stainless steel rod passes through the centre to secure them safely in position.